Wednesday, June 3, 2009

our 10th





I'm not really into bragging about my husband to other people too much (cause if I were you'd probably hear it all the time - he's that great).  But I'm going to break my own rules here and bask in my current state of happiness.  I'm not trying to apologize or give you reasons unnecessarily - but we just celebrated our 10 year anniversary and I want to document not only what we did (not all of it, I'll leave out the sex talk), but also how I feel about the man I married.
We were graciously given a trip down to gulf shores and for truly the first time in our marriage, we vacationed like pros - our trip consisted of dropping the kids off at my parents', sun tanning, book reading, scooter riding, tv watching, sexing, sleeping, adult beverage drinking and fine dining. I think that pretty much sums up the typical American vacation. Although, being David Murray's wife I did find myself in the following non-typical American vacation situations - 
- putting our "Buddy" Scooter in the back of our Honda Element to get to Gulf Shores and then not touching our car the entire week (my butt is still a bit chapped).  We had a ball riding that thing all over town, to neighboring towns, and in between.
- not being able to sit by the pool one afternoon cause the guy playing live music was "hellish" and sounded like crap (only good musicians are allowed to be that unforgiving and opinionated)
- staying in a casino on the way down cause it was $39 a night with free beer (weird - did you know that casino's do that?  they don't charge much for the room and nothing for the drinks cause they are convinced you're going to spend a fortune on those stupid, annoying sounding machines - we didn't touch em....ripped them off!)
- finding myself not too concerned with showering or wearing nice clothes (though we were staying at a fairly uppity place) cause David kept telling me how great I looked! ;)
- driving 11 hours on the way home with only 1 stop (I kept telling him how lucky he was to have me.  I think I could win bladder contests).
Anyway, though this wasn't our typical adventurous trip, I think it was a perfect choice for this time in our lives.  We talked a lot.  David said, "it was like having 3-4 dates every day!".  We enjoyed good meals together, planned, dreamed, discussed goals, fought just a little bit (a healthy amount - to where you know you're still normal, but still well in love), talked about our parenting, our jobs, our friends, our families, our faith.
I just love him. He is my best friend.  He makes me so happy.  I think some of my favorite things about him when I first met him are still true today - he's solid to the core, he's a dreamer, he's an idealist, he's a perfectionist, he pursues his dreams, he hates normality, he is as loyal as they come, he is a man of integrity and just plain goodness, he laughs a lot, is laid back, he's always becoming a better person, he loves people, loves the Lord, and adores me.  My favorite new thing I'm learning about him - he is an incredible father who has chosen for this stage of his life, to choose less work time/less pay and go halves with me in raising our boys - again, going after a dream he's had for years.  
So, in summary, after 10 years, I can honestly say that I'm still convinced that I got the better deal.  I thank my Lord for David - He's the greatest gift I've been given here on this earth.


6 comments:

Sara Neufeld said...

Well, isn't that the sweetest thing ever?!!

love it. love you.

Aidan and Zachary said...

I want to go on vacation with Dave!!

Heidi said...

lovely! Hope we have as great a time when my parents come stay with our boys so we can get away for a long labor day weekend. ;)

Aidan and Zachary said...

Our comment was from Jake!

Erin said...

so glad you had a fun time. That's a great picture of the 2 of you.

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary! I loved this post. Especially liked the word "sexing." Glad you had a good time.