Rules, rules, rules. I'm not a huge fan of them. I mean, I can understand why a 3 year old and a 2 year old shouldn't ride tandem on their Papa's scooter, but some rules...I just don't know where I stand.
So, I've been cracking down on some things with my 2 sweet, crazy, boys this week - we've been working on "manners" and how we act in public. For instance, when we went to the post office this week, we worked on staying next to mama's side. When we went to the library, we worked on using our "library" voices, not running, and when it was time to go, not complaining. When we were at the grocery, we worked on not asking for everything we wanted, not standing up in the cart and not aggravating each other. I was talking to mom today and telling her all the things we were working on and that my discipline for the boys was that if they couldn't have good manners, "we'd just go home". Well, as I told my mom today, we did a whole lotta going home this week!
So, I've been cracking down on some things with my 2 sweet, crazy, boys this week - we've been working on "manners" and how we act in public. For instance, when we went to the post office this week, we worked on staying next to mama's side. When we went to the library, we worked on using our "library" voices, not running, and when it was time to go, not complaining. When we were at the grocery, we worked on not asking for everything we wanted, not standing up in the cart and not aggravating each other. I was talking to mom today and telling her all the things we were working on and that my discipline for the boys was that if they couldn't have good manners, "we'd just go home". Well, as I told my mom today, we did a whole lotta going home this week!
Is this really worth it? Does it really matter? I want well behaved boys, but I also want boys with the ability to just be boys and experience some freedoms that I think all little kids should have. David had it good - growing up in the mountains allowed for more freedoms than our boys get to experience. I hope I'm doing this right - riding this line properly. I wander if God asks Himself that question about us - whether He gives us too much freedom and should make us follow more rules? Just a thought. Oh, and by the way, the picture of the boys on the scooter - just happened to find that on the camera the other day. I didn't ask any questions. I don't care.









1 comment:
Thanks for writing this Mel. I wonder about the same things with my kids. There are so many things that I'm just okay with and I wonder if I should do it another way for the sake of them learning how to do life...I don't know what the answer is, but I think that they are still good questions. I miss you.
Post a Comment